Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) for government employees and their families.
CGHS stands for Central Government Health Scheme. The CGHS was started under the Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in the year 1954. The CGHS was started to provide medical care facilities for central government employees, pensioners, and their family members. All the employees have a beneficiary card and this card is valid till retirement.
The CGHS was first started in 1954 in Delhi. Then the CGHS facility was extended to many cities, they are Allahabad, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Jabalpur, Kolkata, Kanpur, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram, West Bengal. This scheme was introduced in Chennai in the year 1975, with 4 dispensaries.
The main objective of creating CGHS is awareness, prevention, promotion, and price. The CGHS scheme is started to give awareness about health to the people. CGHS scheme supports preventing people from diseases. CGHS scheme helps to promote (i.e.) to improve the health condition of the people. CGHS Scheme lowers the price of people’s treatment.
CGHS health scheme is applicable for the following categories
- All central government servants (except Railway services employees and those employed under Delhi Administration except members of Delhi Police force).
- Pensioners and their family members.
- Hon’ble Members and ex-members of parliament.
- Hon’ble Judges of Supreme Court of India.
- Former Judges of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and Hon’ble High Court.
- Ex-Governors and ex-Vice President.
- Former Prime Minister.
- Freedom Fighters.
Terms and Conditions for Eligibility of CGHS Scheme for Dependents
The CGHS scheme is also applicable to the employee’s family members. The conditions for eligibility of the CGHS scheme for dependents are given below.
|Dependent not Residing with Employee|
|Parents / Step parents||–|
|Son||Till 25 years of age / Starts earning above 9000 per month.|
|Dependent Residing with Employee|
|Daughter||Unmarried / Divorce / Widow|
|Sister||Unmarried / Divorce / Widow|
Contribution for Dependents
If all the above conditions are satisfied and the income is less than or equal to 9000 per month then he/she is eligible for availing of CGHS schemes. The contribution amount for different levels is given as follows.
|Level||Contribution per month|
|1 to 5||Rs. 250|
|7 to 11||Rs. 650|
|12 & above||Rs. 1000|
Application Form for the Renewal of CGHS Card
To download the application form for the renewal of the CGHS card click on the below link.
Application Form for Renewal of CGHS Card
Services Provided in the CGHS Scheme
The Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) provides the following services.
- Indian System of Medicines (Ayurveda, Siddha, Homeopathy).
The Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) offers medical care in Wellness Centres / Polyclinics, Government hospitals, and Private hospitals approved by the government for CGHS. All the beneficiaries and their dependent family members can avail the following facilities.
- An outpatient (OP) facility is available for both Allopathic and Indian Systems of medicine.
- Admission facilities are also available in hospitals for treatment.
- Specialist Consultation at CGHS government hospital and CGHS Empanelled private hospitals.
- Laboratory examination at CGHS Government hospital, Empanelled private hospitals or Diagnostic centers.
- Prescribed medicine is supplied from hospital pharmacies. The non-available medicines can be availed through local Pharmacists.
- Home trips for critically ill patients and elderly immobile patients.
- Based on the sickness and health condition of the patient Medical Certificate / Fitness Certificate is issued.
Working and Registration Timings of the Wellness Centre
The working hours on all working days are 7.30 Am to 2 Pm. On Sunday and Government holidays only emergency medical cases will be treated.
The registration for the appointment starts at 7.30 Am in the morning and ends 15 mins before the scheduled time of the Pharmacy.
To Get Online Appointment at CGHS Hospitals
Step 1: Visit the CGHS official website (i.e.) https://cghs.nic.in/.
Step 2: In the tabs available click on the Book Appointment tab.
Step 3: In the search box enter the Beneficiary ID & Card Number and click on Generate OTP button.
Step 4: Enter the OTP delivered to your mobile phone and click on Proceed button.
Step 5: Enter all the beneficiary details such as name, city, specialist, pharmacy, and doctor, and click on Proceed button.
Step 6: In the calendar displayed select the date for the appointment.
Step 7: Then select the time slot and click Proceed button and then click Confirm button.
After the consultation with the doctor if the patient requires any additional treatment which is not available in the CGHS Government hospitals, then a “ Referral Letter “ will be given by doctors to get treatment in the CGHS approved private hospitals. The Referral Letter is valid for 1 month or 3 consultations.